Jun 3, 2010

White Frosting



This is the official Wilton Icing recipe... or well, it used to be. I think it's been changed over the years. It's the same one my mom used all growing up, and I love it. It uses white shortening (and butter extract) instead of butter, so you can make truer colors to frost with. I'm sure you could substitute real butter if you prefer, but I like the shortening so it looks better!










Here's a picture of the ingredients:


The two ingredients on the right are the clear vanilla extract and butter flavor. I usually buy these at a craft store (ie Roberts, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, JoAnn's, etc) with a coupon. If you need a good site to print coupons I usually go here.

Here's the recipe:
1 cup shortening
1/2 tsp butter extract
1 tsp clear vanilla extract
4 c powdered sugar
2 TBSP milk

Cream first 3 ingredients together. Add powdered sugar and mix some. Add milk until creamy.

You can also double this and I usually do if I am making a 1/4 sheet cake to have plenty of frosting. I usually add 1/2 the powdered sugar, some milk then the rest of the powdered sugar and the rest of the milk. Otherwise, you could end up with a powdered sugar face!

I use Wilton gel dyes to color it. I think they keep the consistency pretty well and color very evenly.

Depending on where you live, you may need to add more milk to make it easier to spread. I add about another teaspoon in Utah, because it's so dry here!

Also, keep an eye out for the yummy chocolate frosting shown on some cupcakes above!

1 comment:

Mom said...

I have been using that Wilton recipe for years too! Since the early 70's. Although I think they have revamped it. I like the old stand by. I have never used butter flavoring in mine, but I know it would be yummy. I often tell people when they make this recipe to always use Crisco if you want a nice frosting. I don't know what it is, but other off brand shortenings are never as smooth. My recipe is slightly different, but I am slightly older that you and your mom. :). Sometime for a real buttery flavor I use all butter instead of shortening. It melts easily and you have to keep the cake a little cooler, but has an excellent flavor, and is great for wedding cakes that are not too decorated and they want an off white color. I also put cocoa in mine when I want a chocolate flavor. A very versatile recipe. When ever I make the frosting I have always had compliments on it. My recipe is: 1 cup shortening (Crisco) 2lb bag of powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup milk + to get desired consistancy, do the milk just a little at a time or you can quickly make your frosting running and it doesn't hold a design.
Keep up the good work. I like your new blog...

Related Posts with Thumbnails